Thursday 25 February 2010

Cabin fever comfort food

I'm done with the winter, really. There was a glorious sunshine today, but accompanied with harsh winds and chilling cold, it's not helping much. I'm totally ready for spring and that was made evident when I identified my cravings and came up with the following lunch:

Pan grilled cod with orange glaze and cucumber salad with vinaigrette.
(I think the name of the dish says it all)

Take 2 cod fillets and thaw them if they're frozen. While they're thawing, cut the cucumber in small cubes and put them in a small ziplock bag with a vinaigrette of your preference (mine is 1 oz balsamic vinegar, a splash of oil and a teaspoon of sugar per serving) and forget about them till serving time. Put them in the fridge if you feel like it.

Since that was fast, and the fish is still thawing, start the glaze. Heat a splash of olive oil over medium heat, and when it heats up add 2 Tbs of orange marmalade and the juice of one lemon. Let it reduce and then add a pinch of salt and a good sprinkle of chives. Turn off the heat but let it stay on the stove to remain some warm.

Ok, the fish is now thawed. Yay! In a pan that you can put a lid on, heat some olive oil over medium heat, then toss the fish in there and close the lid. Let it be till it's cooked and flaky.

If you have any greens, put a bunch in a plate, then add the cucumbers around it. Then add the fish on top of the greens (I love it when they warm up and slightly wilt) and top with the glaze. If you prefer more salt, add it now.

It was delicious. And I even took a pic of it. Not with the good camera though, cause somehow the memory card was missing (read: was forgotten inside hubby's laptop and taken to work with him..)


2 comments:

Tinsie said...

Yes, that dish totally says "spring". I'm still in winter mode myself, I might try it in a month's time ;-)

Margarita said...

You would be totally in love with our weather. I'm quite done with the snow!