Monday 26 October 2009

Adventures in dieting.













I have started dieting and exercise again - after a trip to my doctor who gave me a surprisingly clean health bill, and the realization that part of the rent I'm paying is towards the clubhouse gym, and though the exercise part is easy (go downstairs, get on the elliptical, work out, get off, go home), the dieting part is another thing altogether.

Good food is one of the things that get me going. I enjoy eating out, discovering cuisines, and cook at home when I can. I am taking a healthy approach when cooking at home but even then, dieting often means letting go of some favourite foods for a while.

One thing is for sure though. I cannot do without carbs. I can minimize fats from my diet, but carbs? Forget it! Living only on protein and vegetables is not going to happen. I never feel full after a no carb meal and their lack from my system makes me pretty cranky too.

So, I am following a moderately low calorie diet - I am using an iPhone app called LoseIt!, in which you set a weight loss goal, then log your food and exercise and keep track of your daily calorie quota. Pretty simple, it's like Weight Watchers w'out other people. Which is good for me, dieting with strangers would not motivate me in the least. And it doesn't tell you "du must eet zis and zis and zat" with a Frau Helga accent.

Today I was craving roasted vegetables, but the fridge was sadly empty. I only had a couple of tomatoes that don't roast well at all. So I opted for the second best thing which was:

1 of said tomatoes
1 bag of instant microwave basmati rice
1 good tablespoon of shredded parmesan
1 dash of my Italian Herb Mix

Instant comfort food that will stay with me for a while. Unfortunately, it doesn't photograph very well!

2 comments:

Tinsie said...

You're not supposed to eliminate carbs from your diet, quite the opposite! You need to eat carbs to keep your brain ticking and avoid ketosis (and bad breath). Just don't eat too many simple carbs, like sugar and white flour :-)

The worst bloody thing about my diet is having to eat brown bread instead of white. But I'm getting used to it. Argh.

Margarita said...

I agree - and it is really a good thing that the low/no carb diets that had been pretty popular in America (Atkins, South Beach) are being questioned now. They were actually *promoting* ketosis!

In summation, a diet that eventually evolves into a dietary lifestyle ought to focus of eating everything in moderation and be at peace with the fact that there will be overeating, but it should be the exception, not the rule.