Saturday 12 November 2011

Breakfast for lunch

This recipe was born like most of mine: By having to improvise with what is available. In this particular case, I had:


  • 1 tsp canola or grapeseed oil
  • 1 apple, cored, peeled if preferred (I like the peel) and thinly sliced 
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ginger
  • 2 Weetabix biscuits
  • 3 Tbs of sugar or sweetener equivalent
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Heat oil in medium-high fire (in a pan, obviously) while prepping the apple. Dump apple in pan, dust with cinnamon and ginger, toss around and cook to desired limpness. My preference is as soft as it gets.

Meanwhile, crumble the Weetabix in your serving bowl, add the sugar and vanilla and combine.

When the apple slices are cooked, drop into the Weetabix mix, toss and serve immediately. Makes one serving for a quite hungry person or two for moderately hungry ones. Since this was my lunch, I ate the whole thing. Glad I don't need seconds!

Now that I'm thinking of it, I wish I had toasted walnuts or almonds to top it with.


No comments: