Tuesday 15 February 2011

Soup with what's available

I haven't blogged for a while but usually I end up wanting to do so when some mediocre idea turns into massive win - this soup somehow worked, though it was one of those cases of "there's barely anything in the fridge and pantry"

It all started by having an opened carton of vegetable broth that I wanted to use before it went bad. I looked around and realised that I had a bag of flounder fillets. So, naturally, I thought "soup"

I hoped the baby carrots were still okay. Upon inspecting bag, yay, they're still edible. Then I found out that there was a jar of peeled garlic and a bag of mostly-ok shallots looking whiningly at me, complaining why I hadn't used them all this time.

Fine, I said, soup it is. I heated the broth while peeling and cutting the shallots. Dumped everything (fish fillets, carrots, shallots, garlic) in the pot. Let it simmer till the fish was done. Removed the fish. Let it simmer some more till the carrots were tender yet a bit al dente.

Then added a bag of Vegetable Medley flavor Ready Rice and let it heat and eat up some of the liquid. Served with crushed lime tortilla chips on top.

Oh my god. I'm gonna end this post and go for seconds.

No comments: