Thursday 28 January 2010

One-pan comfort food

I've been living off soup, crackers and ginger ale these last few days, but today I was able to cook some proper food. Although I really wanted the taste of real warm cooked food, I didn't want the fuss that came with it, so I opted for something that I could do in one pan and would involve minimum effort.

So, I had in hand:

About 1.5 pound pork chops cut in strips
2 jars of mushrooms in liquid
onion powder
garlic powder
dried thyme
1 cup of couscous.
2 oz water (optional)
salt, pepper to taste

Since I still have to be careful of my fat intake, I trimmed all visible fat from the pork, then cut the strips into cubes.
In a large pan over medium high heat, pour the mushrooms with the liquid and bring to a simmer. Add garlic powder, onion powder and dried thyme. Add the meat, toss around, close the lid, lower heat to medium and let it steam thoroughly till the meat is nice and white.

Measure 1 cup of couscous and toss it into the pan. If the pan is too dry (depends on how much liquid your mushrooms jar contained), add a couple of ounces of boiling water. Toss till the couscous drinks the water and cover it for 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.

Next time I'll have to try it with fresh mushrooms as well as red wine instead of extra water.

I have been told I 've not taken pics lately, so this time I remembered!

1 comment:

Tinsie said...

One-pan cooking is my favourite :-)

Thanks for remembering to take a photo!